Sunday, February 8, 2015

Week Number 1

As of yesterday, I had officially been at the Mountain School for a week!  It’s probably not surprising that it feels like forever!  That sounds cheesy, but it really does.  So much has happened in a week – I learned to snowshoe, to cross-country ski (kinda of…), to identify trees (even more of a kind of), and even cut down a tree.  I’ve also scrubbed potatoes, shoveled snow, and cleaned a toilet.  None of those are that astounding, but for me they’re new experiences.  I feel as if The Mountain School is allowing me to fill in gaps in my life… 
                Unfortunately, I still have not seen any of the animals… which sucks.  The Derby girls and I are planning on venturing down to the barns today, but first comes homework.  I think a lot of people forget (including both the students and employees here) that the Mountain School first and foremost is a school.  So ya, most nights are filled with homework.  We have a “silent time” from 7:30 to 9:30 in which the library and classrooms are filled with students studying.  It’s strange adjusting to having time scheduled for you to do homework.  Yes, there are long periods of night where you can work when you want and we have frees, but at home I would start homework at 4 and work till 10.  Here, I’m still in class at 4.  Classes here actually go till 5:55.  Intense right?  Not when you realize that right after lunch we spend two and a half hours in work period.  Work period can involve a science hike, wood crew, outdoor program, an activity, or work.
                My activity is swing dancing.  I didn’t exactly expect to end up swing dancing on a mountain, but it’s actually kind of fun.  There are four of us in the class, two guys and two girls, and a very very experienced teacher.  I have some trouble with the spinning, but otherwise I think I got it.  Other than the fact that I fell flat on my face at one point.  Actually, I’ve done a lot of falling, much to everyone’s amusement.  I’ve officially been deemed “Clumsy Christina.”  I fell at least twenty times in skiing, multiple times trying to walk through the heavy snow, multiple times in broom ball, and of course the wonderful dancing fall.  Oh, what is broom ball you ask?  Only the most awesome sport in the world!  We spent all week trying to clear the snow off of frozen over Derby Pond.  Now, that it’s done, we can play.  Broom ball is kind of like field hockey on ice with a stick made out of a tree branch with a mat or blanket tied around it.  You play with a soccer ball and there’s no need to worry about skating – you play in shoes.  Thus, everyone falls.  A lot.  It’s amazing.  I managed to let my aggressive side come out and run into another player, seriously jarring my head.  So that was the end of my broom ball career for the day.

                I think this ends my post considering I have … homework!  See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment