Sunday, February 15, 2015

The Week of Really Bad Snow

Second week done!  Literally just repeating my dorm mate when I say “Days go by like weeks and weeks go by like days.”  It’s insane how short this last week felt.  Not to say I didn’t do anything … Last week featured more cross-country skiing (in which we had to cross “Siberia,” the snow covered field and I fell a lot), more snowshoeing (we crossed a river and I fell a lot), and more general running around and falling in snow.  My chore got switched to rams, which means I have to walk down the hill each morning and tend to the rams.  What does that mean?  Every morning before 8 (even Sunday mornings when brunch isn’t till 11:30…) I have to make my way down to the ram barn where I clean out their trough, refill their food, clean their water bowl, and sweep out the barn.  You’d be surprised what a ram can do to its water bowl.  I have to go back and take care of them in the afternoon too.  I’ll admit, they’re cute, but the walk down seems like it takes forever.  I’m spoiled here in Derby.
                Thinking of the walk down, today I almost got blown away.  We woke up (or I woke up since I was the only one awake at that time) to the scariest wind sounds that very accurately represented the actual wind.  It’s ferocious.  Luckily, walking downhill it was at my back … which means I got pushed down hill.  Coming back up, it was blowing snow straight into my eyes.  I tried to run up the hill, but I have no stamina so I pretty much just succeeded in tiring myself out.  I’m not leaving central campus today.
                Next week on Saturday, the town of Vershire is conducting its annual “Snowshoeathon.”  As explained to us, The Vershire School was shut down a few years ago.  Not a serious issue since there’s a school a few towns over, but many felt that it undermined the sense of community.  So as a result, they came up with the idea of a Vershire summer camp, free to all of the children in Vershire.  But if it’s free, how do you pay for it?  Snowshoeathon!  Each year, all the residents in Vershire (including the children) snowshoe up from Town Center to …. The Mountain School!  Once here, we feed them all and throw a winter carnival!  This Saturday, a group of us snowshoed down the trail to carve it out of the deep snow.  Considering the snow depths this morning, it’s probably gone by now, but it’s a start.  The first ones walking through deep snow got some issues.  For the festival, we’re planning a play, some snow caves, snowball fights and such, and other winter activities!  The cook, Justin, is a bit freaked out but I think it’s gonna be so much fun!  I love that we get to be a part of the community of Vershire.

                The other exciting thing that happened is I get to participate in the Garden Hill Fund.  TMS has an active alumni association, of which the crowning achievement is the Garden Hill Fund.  Twice a year, TMS receives application from alumni who are continuing the Mountain School aims in their daily lives.  A committee of alumni and students (me!) narrows down the selections and decides who to award money too.  It’s a great program, but it’s really stressful since I want to give money to them all.  If only money really did grow on trees!  Oh wait, our trees have no leaves!

No comments:

Post a Comment